The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) program contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. They work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
- The purpose of allowances is to enable international UN Volunteers to sustain a modest and secure standard of living at the duty station.
- The allowances are in no way to be understood as a compensation, reward or salary in exchange for the volunteer work.
Allowances provided are:
- Volunteer living allowance: a monthly allowance intended to cover basic living expenses (this is not a salary)
- Travel expenses: for travel to duty station upon appointment and for repatriation at the end of the assignment
- Settling-in-grant: a grant calculated on the duration of the assignment, paid at the beginning of the assignment
- Insurances: life, health, and permanent disability insurance.
- annual leave
- Resettlement allowance: calculated based on the duration of the assignment, paid upon satisfactory completion of the assignment.
The minimum requirements to serve as an international UN Volunteer are:
- 25 years old and older (no upper age limit)
- University degree or higher technical diploma at least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages: English, French or Spanish
- Commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Willingness to work with people and local organizations to draw upon the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge
- Ability to adjust in difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country is an asset.
To apply and for more information visit here.