United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA NOB Nutrition Officer
Job no: 540443
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Nutrition, NO-2
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Nutrition, the Nutrition Officer provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the nutrition programmes/projects within the Country Programme, from development planning to delivery of results. In doing so, the incumbent implements a variety of technical and administrative programme tasks to facilitate programme development, implementation, programme progress monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of results.
Support to Programme Development and Planning:
- Conduct and update the situation analysis for the programme sector(s) for the development, design and management of multi-sectoral nutrition related policies and financing. Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, nutrition, health) for higher management use to enhance cross sectoral co-ordination, efficiency and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development and establishment of sectoral programme goals, objectives, strategies, and results-based planning, through analysis of nutrition needs and areas for intervention, and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing and administering a variety of technical programme transactions; preparing materials and documentations, and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support programme planning, results-based planning (RBM), and monitoring and evaluation of results.
- Prepare required documentations and materials to facilitate programme review and approval processes.
Programme Management, Monitoring and Delivery of Results:
- Provide technical support and analytics on the preparation, design, and financing for the nutrition sector
- Ensure availability of comprehensive and current data on maternal and child nutrition to guide policy development as well as design and management of nutrition programmes / projects.
- Participate in strategic programme discussions on the planning of nutrition programmes/projects to ensure increases in domestic resource allocation for nutrition as well as radical improvements in quality and coverage of nutrition interventions
- Ensure alignment of UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and Country Programme with national priorities, plans, and competencies. and coherence/integration with the UN Joint Development Assistance Framework, regional strategies
- Establish specific goals, objectives, strategies, and implementation plans for the sector(s) based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for programme review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results for nutrition.
Technical and Operational Support to Programme Implementation:
- Conduct regular programme field visits and exchange information with partners and stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support. Take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners, and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes, and best practices on nutrition-related issues to support programme implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- Support the government to increase financing and coverage of services for the nutrition interventions especially prevention services at both national and sub-national levels.
- Support NCN and NCFN to ensure that nutrition goals in the integrated nutrition strategic plan are in line with applicable mid-term development plans, national policies and strategies and that programs in relevant ministries align to address food and Nutrition specific and Nutrition sensitive issues adequately to Scale Up.
- Support NCN and NCFN to improve process management skills and facilitate the operationalisation of Federal level multi-stakeholder platforms.
Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with nutrition/health sector government counterparts, national stakeholders, global partners, allies, donors, and academia, through active networking, advocacy and effective communication. Build capacity, exchange knowledge and expertise, and/or promote cooperation and alliances to achieve programme goals on maternal and child rights as well as social justice and equity.
- Prepare communication and advocacy products to highlight programme goals, achievements and/or needs to promote awareness, establish partnerships/alliances and support fundraising for nutrition programmes.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on nutrition-related issues to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated into the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda-setting. Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of nutrition programmes/projects.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in engagement with the private sector, SUN movement, DPG, NGF etc.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fundraising and partnership development purposes.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Promote critical thinking, innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable nutrition programme / project initiatives through advocacy and technical advisory services.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting-edge practices in nutrition management and information systems. Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
- Organize, plan and/or implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients and stakeholders to promote transformative and sustainable results on / nutrition-related programmes / projects
- A university degree in one of the following fields is required: Nutrition, Public Health, Nutritional Epidemiology, Global / International Health and Nutrition, Health / Nutrition Research, Policy and/or Management, Health Sciences, Nutritional Epidemiology, or another health-related science field
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in a developing country in one or more of the following areas is required: nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management, or maternal, infant and child health/nutrition care.
- Experience in health/nutrition programme/project development in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered an asset.
For Every Child, you Demonstrate – (CRITA):
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
The Functional Competencies Required:
- Analyzing (2)
- Applying technical expertise (2)
- Learning and researching (2)
- Planning and organizing (2)
Click Here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.