The World Food Programme is the food assistance branch of the United Nations and the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security. WFP is part of the United Nations system and is voluntarily funded. Born in 1961, WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life. We work towards that vision with our sister UN agencies in Rome — the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) — as well as other government, UN and NGO partners. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 82 countries each year. 11,367 people work for the organization, most of them in remote areas, directly serving the hungry poor. To learn more, watch the video outlining our mission, read our Mission Statement and our 2013 Annual Performance Report or download the Infographic.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience: 3 – 6 years
- Location: Yobe
- Job Field: Engineering / Technical
To provide construction and engineering expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide engineering and project management services, apply best practises, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Contribute towards the analysis of project proposal to enable effective decision making on project technical feasibility.
- Prepare evidenced based recommendations for senior staff on measures to improve WFP facilities suitability to operational purpose, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on outputs to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Provide technical guidance that support a successful construction procurement process.
- Participate in technical or design review, exchange of knowledge and experience, keeping abreast of construction and engineering technologies, to facilitate implementation of innovative engineering solutions.
- Support the capacity building of engineering staff to facilitate the continued development and high performance.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with internal and external clients to effectively meet clients’ expectations.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of risks.
- Other as required.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked effectively under supervision on a large number of varied design and construction projects and taken responsibility for work elements which have been assigned.
- Has attained advanced academic qualifications relevant to engineering.
- Has contributed to projects demonstrating knowledge of engineering specialisations in relation to fire safety, seismic blast or environmental requirements.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: First University degree in Electrical Engineering or related Engineering discipline and at least at least 6 years of proven Engineering experience in construction/rehabilitation of building and infrastructure-type projects, implemented in accordance with international construction standards or
- Advanced University degree in Electrical Engineering or related Engineering discipline and at least at least 3 years of proven Engineering experience in construction/rehabilitation of building and infrastructure-type projects, implemented in accordance with international construction standards.