The Health Data Analytics (HDA) Graduate Fellowship 2023 is now accepting applications. The purpose of this fellowship is to increase HDA capacity at higher academic and research levels, specifically through the extension of Multi-Source Data Analytics and Triangulation (MSDAT) and associated areas.
This fellowship will inform the next phase of technology and data analysis innovations/inventions to expand on the MSDAT platform for improved healthcare delivery and monitoring of Nigeria’s health system. The HDA fellowship seeks to accomplish the following goals:
- Build local capacity for research in health data analytics
- Support the development of health data platforms, specifically the MSDAT
- Improve the utilization of the MSDAT platform
- Use findings to inform Health Information Systems (HIS) policy development
- Facilitate the publication of research reports in recognized journals
Health Data Analytics Benefits
The benefits of this fellowship include:
- ₦1,000,000.00 (per fellow) for postgraduate research (including research expenses e.g. equipment, data collection etc).
- Capacity building in research and health data analytics.
- Possible job opportunities with eHealth4everyone on completion of the fellowship.
- Access to a network of individuals with shared interests.
- Mentorship and support from the administering body. This would translate into the provision of reviews and guidance during the course of their research.
- Provision of datasets on request.
Health Data Analytics Eligibility
To be eligible for this fellowship, the individual must fulfil the following requirements;
- Must hold an acceptable form of Identification (i.e. an International passport; Drivers’ licence; Voters’ Card, National Identity Number (NIN) card);
- Must be a postgraduate student of any accredited University with a valid means of identification;
- Candidates should hold a Bachelor’s degree of at least a 3.5/5.0 CGPA (Second class upper honours) for Master’s students, and at least a Merit or its equivalent in Master’s, for PhD students;
- Research goals should be targeted towards improving the Nigerian health system around the following areas:
- Data Management
- Visual Analytics
- Data Mining
- Data Integration
- Health outcomes
- Health financing
- Health Workforce
- Population and demographics
- Health facility service availability and readiness
- Health Impact
- Advanced analytics
- Open data advocacy
- Big Data for health
- Data demand and use
- Statistical modelling of health data
- Health Information System interoperability
- Artificial Intelligence
Health Data Analytics Application
- Complete each section of the HDA fellowship form(s) and attach the required documents. These include:
- Official transcripts from Academic Institution
- Curriculum Vitae (CVs)
- Admission letters
- Statement of purpose (maximum of 500 words)
- Research proposal/summary including timelines for execution
- Letter of recommendation from Supervisor, Head of Department or Dean
- A previously published paper, if available. This would be an added advantage.
- A 2-minute video of the applicant explaining their research proposal and motivation, is required.
- The HDA fellowship committee will carefully review each proposal and make a final decision. If successful, applicants would be notified (within 8 weeks after the application deadline) that they have been selected to receive the research grant.
- Successful applicants must officially “accept” the offer via an email within a week.
Note: Funds are to be used for the research work ONLY. Funds would possibly cover textbooks, equipment, publications, and travels (for data collection activities etc). Costs that are indirectly related to the research would need to be approved by the HDA fellowship committee.
In addition, results from all HDA funded research will be completely open for use by the eHealth for Everyone Foundation and others. There will be no copyrighting of research.
Deadline: August 30, 2023