The ETH Zurich Postdoctoral Fellowship program (ETH Fellows) supports incoming postdoctoral researchers at ETH Zurich. The program is intended to foster young researchers who have already demonstrated scientific excellence in the early stages of their careers.
Applications have to be made jointly by the candidate and the potential host, who must be an ETH Zurich professor and willing to act as the mentor of the fellow. A professor may only submit one candidate in each evaluation round. There must be convincing synergies between the host (group) and the ETH Fellow. The fellowships are intended as early support towards academic independence, hence priority will be given to applicants who propose their own projects. Thus, it is important that applicants come up with their own ideas and draft the application themselves, and that the applicant and mentor have not closely collaborated prior to the fellowship.
The duration of an ETH Fellowship is two years and cannot be prolonged. The fellowship is competitive with only a limited number of fellowships available each year. The success rate was about 25% in the last rounds.
Applications from candidates of all genders and backgrounds are strongly encouraged. They monitor success rates in order to avoid potential biases.
ETH Zurich, also known as the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, is a prestigious public research university situated in Zurich, Switzerland. Renowned for its academic excellence, ETH Zurich consistently ranks among the top universities worldwide. The university is highly regarded for its exceptional research, teaching, and innovative approaches.
ETH Zurich offers a comprehensive selection of undergraduate and graduate programs across a wide range of disciplines, encompassing natural sciences, engineering, architecture, computer science, mathematics, and social sciences. The institution prioritizes a robust theoretical foundation coupled with practical application and research opportunities. Drawing on a diverse and international cohort of students, researchers, and faculty members, ETH Zurich fosters a vibrant and inclusive academic community.
- A yearly salary of CHF 105,000 will be provided.
- Fellows will receive an additional CHF 10,000 annually to cover research-related expenses.
- A travel and mobility allowance will be granted to fellows.
- This fellowship will cover any additional costs associated with the program.
- Fellows will have the opportunity to collaborate with renowned researchers and professors from various countries.
- Access to state-of-the-art laboratories will be available to fellows.
- Fellows will also have the opportunity to explore Switzerland through organized tours.
- Candidates must have obtained their doctoral degree from a university other than the University of Zurich or ETH Zurich.
- Ph.D. candidates who have not yet defended their thesis must submit a certificate signed by their advisor or department chair.
- Applicants should not have lived, worked, or studied in Switzerland for a total of twelve months or more within the three years preceding the application deadline.
- Candidates should not have spent more than six months in their primary employment or study at ETH Zurich or the College of Zurich within the previous three years.
- Applicants are required to have at least one academic article published in a peer-reviewed publication.
- Eligible candidates who do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
- Applications must be submitted electronically in pdf format using the ETH Zurich grant application system (eResearch). The templates for the project description (project details and accompanying information) can be downloaded from their page.
- The ETH Zurich Research Commission is responsible for the evaluation of applications. Proposals are assessed in the first step after which selected candidates are invited to interviews.
- The interview takes place online and lasts about 15 minutes. Please reserve all interview dates given for your submission deadline until you have been assigned a specific date. Individual preferences cannot be considered.
Application Deadline: September 1, 2023 (66 Days Remaining)