The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Requisition ID: req41455
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Position Reports to: WPE Manager
Position directly supervises: WPE Case Management Assistant
- The BHA (Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance) project, Integrated Emergency Response to the Displaced Population in Zamfara, Sokoto, And Katsina States, Northwest Nigeria” depending on the will be carried out by a consortium led by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in collaboration with the Alliance for International Medical Action (Alima), Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI), and Life Helpers Initiative (LHI), aims to leverage each partner’s expertise to provide immediate humanitarian assistance to internally displaced people populations through area-based approach.
- The Consortium partners will provide an integrated multisectoral intervention in Health, Nutrition, WASH, Protection, and Multi-purpose Cash Assistance (MPCA) activities in Zamfara, Katsina, and Sokoto states in collaboration with state governments, UN organizations and other key actors in Northwest Nigeria.
- The project will be implemented by a dedicated support, quality assurance, and coordination team, who will work closely with all partners through a management unit of well-structured consortium governance for the activity.
Scope of Work
- The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community-based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services.
- The IRC will also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring. The IRC will also include legal assistance and counselling services. The protection program is currently implemented in the NE States of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe and Northwest States of Zamfara and Katsina.
- Under the supervision of the Protection Manager, Protection Officer is responsible for the overall oversight and management (planning, implementation, and monitoring) of the Sector’s projects.
- S/he will support the Protection Manager in managing and supervising staff.
- S/he is responsible for ensuring that projects run smoothly by providing technical leadership, supervising, training and mentoring staff, and coordinating the implementation of project activities.
- The Protection Officer will contribute to the IRC Protection program development and proposal development. S/he is will play an active role in establishing and managing relationships with local partners, humanitarian actors, state authorities, beneficiaries and local/traditional leaders and contribute to the achievement of IRC Protection program and IRC SAP goals.
Project Planning and Implementation:
- Responsible for the planning and timely implementation of project activities in Zamfara State, ensuring adherence to IRC policies and procedures.
- Continuously monitor project quality; for example, strengthening data collection, reporting, accountability initiatives, and documenting the impact of IRC presence in the field.
- Ensure synergy between the Protection sector and other IRC sectorial activities in Zamfara State in close coordination and consultation with other Protection staff.
- Work with the Protection Manager and Coordinator to contribute to new project development, including both narratives and budgets.
- Contribute and support effective monitoring, evaluation and learning processes and initiatives, and ensure effective data and information management for project.
- Develop monthly work plans focused on key outputs and outcomes in consultation with other Protection staff.
- Ensure staff contributions to project monitoring and evaluation requirements to ensure project quality, relevance and accountability to IRC’s target populations.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, capacity building and mainstream protection into all activities as appropriate.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Ensure IRC has up-to-date information on the affected and targeted community and coordinate beneficiary lists and numbers with Reporting/Database Assistant and different stakeholders.
- Ensure the timely and quality delivery of weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual project reports.
- Ensure high-quality IRC and donor reports on activities, indicators and achievements.
- Ensure that all reporting is disaggregated by age and gender.
- Keep proper records of all project activities.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Support the Protection Manager in supervision, hiring and orientation new Protection staff as necessary.
- Contribute to IRC Protection sector team-building efforts, help solving arising problems and support the Protection Manager in the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- University Degree in law, Political Science, Psychology, Social Sciences or Social work (Bachelor’s as a minimum).
- Relevant experience in protection programming including focus on protection monitoring and responding to identified protection needs.
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming.
- Knowledge of Project Cycle Management
- Experience of working in IDP sites (camps and host communities).
- Experience with coordination of humanitarian protection activities essential. Skills in advocacy essential.
- Ability to manage teams especially field teams in a challenging environment
- Ability and willingness to live and work in a challenging environment
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor
- Fluency in English and other languages desirable.
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added value.
- Computer / Other Tech Requirements: Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to Travel: 50% of time if applicable.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online