International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at the highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated healthcare systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- The WASH Officer will be responsible for implementing software and hardware of the WASH activities in Gwoza and Askira Uba, Borno State.
- She/he will closely work with partners, IDPs and communities in health centers and all stakeholders to ensure efficient delivery of safe WASH services in the assigned area.
- Coordinate the hygiene promotion and sanitation aspect of the wash team in Gwoza and Askira Uba Borno State
- Planning of community base activities with respect to water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion
- Ensure regular coordination with the state water office regarding water quality testing and analysis for the host and displaced communities accessing Health centres in Gwoza and Askira Uba.
- Carry out regular assessments and draft concept notes on the needs.
- Ensure that water quality test results are in line with the standards and always shared with the state authorities and other wash implementing partners.
- Participate in conducting continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution.
- Effective use of designed templates and system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor.
- May be delegated to participate in the state wash sector working group meetings and provide feedbacks to his/her supervisor.
- May be delegated to represent the organization amongst the UN and NGO community and with the government.
- Contribute to the positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct.
- Developing participatory community led approach for the management of WASH facilities.
- Plan, organize and facilitate trainings for the community hygiene volunteers together with the WASH Assistants.
- Support the WASH team in strategic planning and budgeting for the activities being implemented.
- Support in hiring and training of the team to build up their capacity
- Identification of WASH staff training needs and provision of practical on job trainings tailored to the identified needs
- Ensure submission of weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports to project management team in a timely manner
Logistics and Budget Management:
- Provide input in the review of WASH related procurement requests, approve where appropriate and follow up with the Logistics/Procurement for timely delivery
- Support the WASH Teams in developing and reviewing activity base on budgets for all WASH Program and program support components
- Review and monitor all expenditure on budgets in coordination with the WASH coordinator
- Support logistics in developing technical tender/bid documents related to WASH Infrastructure constructions, consultancies and conduct technical evaluation of the same.
- Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with local government procedures (e.g. site selection) and do not duplicate or interfere with activities proposed or carried out by the UN or other NGO
- Liaise with other organizations engaged in similar activities in Nigeria, including the government authorities, UN and other NGO
- Liaise closely with the WASH coordinator to ensure good integration and synergy of all program activities.
- Represent International Medical Corps in all External Related Forums when called upon by the WASH Coordinators or the Country Director.
Capacity Building and Human Resource Management:
- Directly manage the WASH Field team and ensure that program activities are completed within the specified timeframe and to acceptable level of technical and program quality
- Conduct Annual staff appraisals to the field WASH assistant and WASH technician in collaboration with the WASH Coordinator
- Facilitate staff training on areas of technical capacity gaps as captured in the appraisals
- Support field WASH Team in capacity building of the target communities, community volunteers and local authority where necessary
- Compile data/ information for WASH related donor reports in close coordination with field teams, the M&E Officer/ Manager and the WASH Coordinator
- Support the WASH team to deliver weekly updates in a timely manner.
- Compile all WASH Monthly Reports (internal)
- Work with M&E team to develop WASH Indicator Monitoring and Evaluation Tools and review the same regularly to adjust to program changes.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Engr. in Civil Engineering, Geology, Hydrology & Engineering or any relevant technical qualification.
- At least Two (2) years working experience in an INGO or Community development experience.
- Technical design skills using AutoCAD or Arch CAD, and WaterCAD or any other hydraulic modeling software
- Experience in the supervision of constructions
- Experience in Water quality monitoring, Hygiene promotion and Sanitation preferably with an NGO
- Strong technical back ground in assessing the water supply systems, development (Hand pump and solar installations)
- Ability to assess and identify the defects in the water systems.
- Technical knowledge on water quality control and management
- Experience in dealing with local contractors
- Strong Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel and power point)
- Excellent report writing, communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in hardship areas.
- Willingness to travel outside work stations.
- Strong communication Skills.
- Ability to speak English, Hausa, Marghi and Kanuri is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
9th June, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications / CV addressed to the Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps via: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
- Due to the urgent need of the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document. International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com
- Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review