The French Institutes for Advanced Study (FIAS) Fellowship Programme offers 10-month fellowships in the six Institutes of Aix-Marseille, Loire Valley, Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes and Paris. It welcomes applications from high level international scholars and scientists primarily in the fields of the social sciences and the humanities (SSH).
The Fellows will benefit from the support and conducive scientific environment offered by the IAS characterized by an interdisciplinary cohort of fellows and a close relation to the local research potential. The fellows will be free to organize their work and conduct research as they wish.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): French Institutes for Advanced Study, France
Fellowship Type: Fully-funded
Host Institution(s): French Institutes for Advanced Study, France
Fellowship Worth: Living allowance of €2,700 per month, accommodation, etc.
Number of Awards: 40
Study Level: Masters & PhD
Nationality: Domestic & International Student
Eligibility Criteria | French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship 2024
To be eligible for French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants will have to be in possession of a doctoral degree plus 2 years of full-time research experience after the degree. Exception will be made for scholars with a Master + 6 years of full-time research experience after the degree (PhD training will not be considered in the calculation of experience.
- Applicants must fulfil the transnational MSCA mobility rule: incoming researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in France for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
- The Programme is open to all Social Sciences and the Humanities
- Applicants must provide full application forms and all requested documents through the online application platform. Incomplete and late applications are not considered eligible. Applications not complying with the maximum length criteria will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English (also partially) will not be considered.
The Fellows will benefit from the following support and conducive scientific environment offered by the IAS:
- A net living allowance (equivalent to take-home pay) of €2,700 per month
- Two flexible contractual options, considering individual situations: work contracts or paid leave
- Adequate social security coverage
- Accommodation or support for relocation
- An individual research and training budget equivalent to €2,500 per year
- Travel expenses (one round trip from the fellow home country)
- Same working conditions as the IAS’ other fellows, including individual offices, special access and lending privileges in university-based research libraries, IT services, multiple collective spaces
- Skills training opportunities
How-to-Apply: The application is to be completed exclusively via the FIAS website. Applicants must create a user account via the arrow in the high right corner of the fias webpage.
The requested application material (in English exclusively) will consist of:
- The completed online application form
- A detailed curriculum vitae with a comprehensive list of publications
- A copy of the diploma
- A detailed research proposal (maximum 5 pages and a bibliography – 1 additional page)
- A selection of three to five publications (articles or book chapters)
- A letter of support/interest by an IAS’s local scientific partner -only requested and mandatory for Le Studium (Loire Valley IAS), for the Collegium de Lyon, for MAK’IT (Montpellier IAS), and for the Paris IAS.
- Optional: Up to two letters of recommendation
Application Deadline: June 6, 2023