The AfWA Scholarships 2023 for Young African Water & Sanitation Professionals are now open for applications. The African Water Association (AfWA) is giving research scholarships to African Young Water and Sanitation Professionals as part of its Capacity-Building Plan for African stakeholders in the water, sanitation, and hygiene sector (AfriCap), which is sponsored by USAID.
Master students and engineers in their final year of training are the intended beneficiaries. Each fellowship, with a maximum value of $1,000 USD, will allow recipients to conduct research on a WASH-related topic that will be supported by a scientific report.
During the 2016-2017, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019 academic years, AfWA awarded sixty (60) scholarships to students from eleven (11) countries in West and Central Africa. Other scholarships will be awarded across Africa for a period of three years (2021-2024). For the 2021-2022 academic year, fifteen (15) scholarships have been awarded to students from 13 countries. For the academic year 2022-2023, other fifteen (15) scholarships will be awarded across Africa.
AfWA Scholarships 2023 Research Themes
The following themes were selected for this scholarship programme for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- Approaches to reducing Non-Revenue Water in water utilities
- Improved Water Quality Control
- Water services in low-income urban areas
- Improvement of urban and peri-urban sanitation
- ICT use (Digitalization) in water and sanitation services
- Water resources management
- Water, sanitation, and gender
AfWA Scholarships 2023 Funding
- As part of this scholarship, the maximum amount allocated per recipient is US $1,000. Sixty percent (60%) of this amount will be paid to the recipient once the detailed plan of the research project is finalized, approved by the research supervisor, and received by AfWA Research and Capacity Building Program Coordinator. The remaining forty percent (40%) shall be paid once the recipient submits the electronic version of their final research report.
AfWA Scholarships 2023 Eligibility
- Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan African country eligible for USAID funding.
- Be in good standing academically with respect to their institution.
AfWA Scholarships 2023 Application
Submit an application file including:
- Student card or registration receipt for the current year
- Last completed degree
- Curriculum vitae (3 pages max)
- Three recommendation letters (one should be from the academic supervisor)
- Research proposal form
Applicants must submit their application electronically at the following addresses simultaneously: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
For more information, visit AfWA Scholarships.