The Australia Awards Africa Scholarship Program combines Masters, Fellowships and Short Course opportunities to build skills and capabilities in key sectors, thereby contributing to social and economic development outcomes for African nations and the Sustainable Development Goals. Australia Awards directly support Australia’s interests in the security, stability and prosperity of the African continent by strengthening African leadership and skills in fields such as agriculture and food security, climate change and adaptation, renewable energy, mining governance and countering terrorism and violent extremism.
Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders in developing countries. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
The Australia Awards Africa program promotes and supports Australian development and economic diplomacy objectives in a variety of ways:
- alumni apply their new skills to contribute to their country’s development
- Australia is recognised and valued by African nations as a reliable partner and source of expertise, and
- relationships are formed between Australian and African people and organisations, creating enduring partnerships and future cooperation.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from Africa must also meet the following conditions:
• Be a citizen of Algeria, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia,
Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South
Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Uganda, Zambia or Zimbabwe.
• Already hold an undergraduate degree.
• An English language proficiency of at least 6.5 in IELTS with no band less than 6.0 (or 575 in paper based TOEFL or
90 in internet based TOEFL or 61 in PTE Academic). Scores must be valid on 1 January 2024. No other English
language test (including TOEFL prediction test) results will be accepted.
IELTS testing result is not a requirement for applicants if:
• English was the language of instruction for your undergraduate degree, or
• you studied in Australia within the last two-years, or
• you completed over five years of study in one of the following English-speaking countries: Australia, UK, USA,
Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
• Answer all relevant questions on the application form.
Priority fields of study
The priority areas of study for eligible African countries in this application round are:
• Climate change
• Agriculture and food security
• Mining and energy
• Foreign policy and international security
Level of study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of eligible African countries with the opportunity to obtain a Masters degree at an Australian tertiary institution.
Australia Awards Africa scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian education institution, including any preparatory training.
Scholarship recipients will receive:
- return air travel
- a one-off establishment allowance on arrival
- full tuition fees
- contribution to living expenses
- introductory academic program
- overseas student health cover for the duration of the scholarship
- supplementary academic support
- fieldwork allowance for research students and masters by coursework which has a compulsory fieldwork component
Applications will be shortlisted after eligibility checking and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection process will include an interview.
Applicants will be assessed on:
- academic competence
- potential outcome, specifically the contribution to development outcomes in eligible countries of Africa
- professional and personal leadership attributes including relevant work experience.
Successful candidates will be notified in late 2023. Travel will be subject to meeting the requirements imposed by the Australian Government, as determined by the federal Department of Education, and must meet the requirements imposed by relevant state and territory governments.
The candidates will be required to attend:
- course counselling
- pre-departure briefing
- university’s Introductory Academic Program
- other required preparatory study on arrival in Australia.
For study commencing in Australia in 2024:
Opening date: 1 February 2023
Closing date: 1 May 2023 (11:59PM AEST)
Applications and/or supporting documents received after the closing date will not be considered.
How to apply
- Applications must be lodged online through the Online Australia Scholarships Information System (OASIS) by 11.59PM AEST on 29 April 2023. You will need to register and establish your eligibility before submitting your application. Applications and/or supporting documents received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Australia Awards Africa scholarship applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
- Applicants must also meet country-specific conditions and provide relevant documentation to support their application.
- Contact details Australia Awards Africa Email: email@example.com
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Australia Awards Africa Scholarship Program 2023/2024