Call for Applications: EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme on Sustainable Energy 2023 to Study in Nigeria, Senegal & Cape Verde | Fully-funded
The EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme on Sustainable Energy 2023 is now accepting applications. The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship project offers master’s degrees in the sustainable energy sector at specialized universities in West Africa (Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo) to eligible students from ECOWAS member countries active in the energy industry.
The program aims to improve access to high-quality training in the sustainable energy sector in West Africa by enabling university graduates with a focus on young professionals (English, French, and Portuguese speakers) in ECOWAS member states to acquire the profile required to meet the region’s growing demand for specialists at the highest level in the field of sustainable energy, as well as to promote good governance of the sector.
Categories of EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme on Sustainable Energy 2023
The two types of scholarships available on the programme are:
- Mobile Scholarships: Scholars are selected to complete their master’s programme in higher education institutions located outside their country of residence. The scholarship will provide funding for tuition, subsistence, travel, research grant, insurance and visa.
- Stationary Scholarships: Scholars are selected to complete their master’s programme in higher education institutions located in their country of residence. The scholarship will take care of scholars’ tuition and research grant. A small stipend to contribute towards travel and subsistence will also be provided.
Eligibility for EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme on Sustainable Energy 2023
The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship application form collects responses from applicants who are interested to complete a master’s programme in the energy sector from shortlisted universities. The scholarship selection process will analyse the information collected through the application form against the following criteria:
- Be nationals of a member state of ECOWAS or Mauritania and being resident in ECOWAS’ region or Mauritania;
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree with First Class or Second Class (Upper Division);
- Have undertaken studies at least at bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, energy and environment (including renewable energy and energy efficiency), law, economics, finance and planning as deemed by the entry requirements of the chosen university;
- Work experience in the energy sector in West Africa will be an added advantage;
- Hold (at least) provisional admission into an approved course of study at the time of scholarship approval;
- Scholarship is open to working and non-working candidates. Working candidates are required to provide letter of release from their employer to complete the course for the duration of the programme;
- Commitment to publish at least 1 practice-oriented research before the end of the programme;
- Commitment to start internships within the course of study.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. If more candidates match the selection criteria than there are places available, they will be ranked according to the results of their last year of study and professional experience.
Shortlisted Universities and Available Masters’ Degree Courses
You can ONLY apply for relevant courses in Higher Education Institution(s) which have been opened to receive applications:
Obafemi Awolowo University
- M.Sc. Energy Planning and Management
- M.Sc. Environmental Technology Management
- M.Sc. Electrical Power Engineering
- M.Sc. Energy Systems Science and Energy Systems Engineering
University of Nigeria Nsukka
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Renewable and New Energy Systems
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Power Engineering
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Sustainable Energy Materials Engineering
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Industrial Electronics and Power Devices
- M.Eng./M.Sc. Energy Policy, Regulation and Management
Universite Cheikh Anta Diop (UCAD)
- M.Sc. 2 Photovoltaic Systems and Materials (Master 2 de physique et applications, spécialité énergie solaire, matériaux et systèmes (SOLMATS)
- Only students with a MASTER 1 in physics from a CAMES member university will be accepted by UCAD.
Universidade de Cabo Verde
- International Interuniversity Master’s program in Energy Decarbonisation
EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme on Sustainable Energy 2023 Application
Applications to the Universities in Nigeria, Senegal and Cape Verde is now OPEN, with a deadline for submission by Friday, 10 February 2023 at 18.00 WAT.
Successful applicants will be required to provide the following documents for validation:
- Identification cards such as an international passport or a national identity card
- Proof of residency in an ECOWAS country or Mauritania
- A copy of the provisional admission letter from a shortlisted university
- Academic transcripts or certificate obtained, and
- Any other documents to validate information provided in the application form
For more information, visit EU-ECOWAS Scholarships.